the beauty of seaweed...


A little break from Open Studios to look at the seaweeds I collected last week. Some I hung up to dry in my garage and have been nibbling since as it is really tasty, the Dulse particularly.



But most I spread out on paper to dry.
The Irish moss I really love.


I keep them in boxes once they are dried to use in my sculpture.






The most beautiful were the fine reds that I had to arrange underwater as they were so delicate.


This is sea beech as I found it on the beach intensely pink then a few days later after it had dried.



I didn't press them properly. I just laid them out on not very brilliant paper and let them dry.


This is sea oak...


... and a few days later dried

transparent and delicate like a fine water colour.



Next time I will use sea water and lay them on decent paper and press them under boards. Next time I'll do it properly and learn a few more species.

set in resin.
translucent.
light shining through

ideas for the future




Labels: